The Original Whale Watching Tour in Reykjavík
The summer season is a great time to go whale watching from Reykjavík. The population of whales, dolphins and birdlife flourish in the long days and bright nights of the Icelandic summer. The minke whales are lively and in large numbers, along with the quick and quirky white-beaked dolphins, the cute harbour porpoises and the massive humpback whales.
With more than 15 years of guiding and operating whale watching tours in the Faxaflóki bay you can be sure that we love and respect everything about whales and the wildlife in our native bay. Our whale watching tours are operated with the wellbeing of the whales in mind and we are active participants in the protection and research of whales.
All our whale watching tours start from our ticket office on the Ægisgarður pier in the Old Harbour of Reykjavik. There you can purchase tickets or exchange your voucher for a prepaid trip. Your whale watching guide will meet you in our Whale Watching Centre, which is located on board an old fishing vessel permanently placed at the pier.
Before or after the tour you can enjoy the onboard multimedia show that includes images, videos and facts about the whales and marine life in Icelandic waters.
- See minke whales, humpbacks, harbour porpoises and sea birds in their native homes.
- Our specially modified whale watching ships all have big viewing decks as well as indoor facilities such as cafeteria and toilets.
- If you want to see whales AND puffins, check out the bestselling Whales, Puffins & Reykjavík tour.
- “Whale Guarantee” If we find no whales on your tour you get to try again for free on our Classic tour.
Including: Expertly guided whale watching tour in Faxaflói Bay on Elding boat.
Location of starting point: Whale Safari ticket office at Ægisgarður in the Old Reykjavík Harbour. You can't miss it.
Duration of trip: 3 hours.
Hotel pick up: Hotel pick ups start 45 minutes before your chosen departure time. Please be ready to leave in your hotel reception or if you are staying in a home, outside.
Minimum: No minimum number of participants. If you are booked you are going.
Age limit: No minimum ages.
Bring with you: Dress warmly for our northern ocean, so if you have it, bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater, some warm headgear and gloves. Sturdy shoes are recommended.**
* Keep in mind we are located at the Old Harbour in Reykjavík, easily within walking (0-15 min) distance from all hotels located in zip code #101 downtown Reykjavík. We encourage you to walk, for the environment and your health :)
** We will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear, as well as having some sweaters to lend.
All sea tours and whale watching / wildlife trips are undertaken at the responsibility of its participants. Whale Safari does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants may have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherit risk that they assume by booking said activity.