Inside the Volcano
The Inside the Volcano Tour
Duration: 6 Hours
Book online and get instant reservation confirmation
The dormant Þríhnúkagígur volcano is a unique natural phenomenon. By setting up the necessary gear and equipment, we’ve created a tour that opens the door to a new world.
To be able to experience this wonder, all you need is the willingness to do a moderate 45–50 minute hike (to get to the crater) and the guts to descend 120 meters/400 feet to the bottom of the crater in an open cable lift. The hike to the volcano is an integral part of the tour, not only because of the breathtaking scenery, but also because it’s one of only two ways of getting to the base of the volcano. The other option is to use a helicopter.
More info on our website: https://insidethevolcano.com
- Pick-up at your hotel in Reykjavík.
- All safety gear, helmets, harnesses, etc.
- Small groups, plenty of guides = personal experience.
- Volcano tour of a lifetime.
- Traditional Icelandic meat soup, coffee/tea and perhaps some sweets as well. We also serve vegetarian soup.
- Transfer back to your hotel in Reykjavík.
What do I need to bring
- Good shoes – We recommend wearing hiking boots on the tour since the trail is rocky and can get wet and muddy on a rainy day.
- Outdoor clothing. The weather in the mountains can be very different from the conditions in the city. It’s important for guests to realize that the weather is very unpredictable, and you should definitely bring warm, rainproof clothes with you, even if the weather in Reykjavík is nice and the forecast looks good. Not least because it’s always the same temperature inside the crater – about 3°C (37°F). That’s cold!
- A camera. You will want to remember this trip. Yes, you can take as many pictures as you want!
- A good spirit. This tour is all about having fun.