Whales, Puffins and Reykjavík
2 Hour Whale & Bird watching tour starting from Reykjavik Old Harbour everyday from April 15th to October 31st
Please note! The puffins are seen during their breeding season from early may until close to end of August.
Trip Difficulty: Moderate/Adventure Tour
Age & height limit: 10 years & 145 cm
Experience the wildlife and nature adventure of a lifetime on our most personal whale watching tour. Our custom made RIB boats allow you to get closer to the whales and puffins than any other tour can offer. These fast, stable and safe boats allow us to cover more area as we search for the wild life, thus increasing your chances of spotting whales, dolphins and bird life.
This great whale watching tour starts from the Old Harbour of Reykjavík, we get you geared up in our special overalls also providing you with gloves, goggles and lifejackets to maximise your comfort and safety during the tour.
During the puffin season (early May to the end of August) we firstly visit the puffins in their natural habitat on the islands of the nearby bay. Next we head out in search of whales. Few things will beat this personal and up close experience of seeing whales and dolphins at sea level from our RIB boats. After our whale safari we enjoy the thrilling ride while travelling back to Reykjavik. Here we will sail along the shoreline of the city, experiencing a unique panoramic view from the sea (perfect for photos).
Our boats will take you past the Sun Voyager sculpture and the harbour side of Iceland's most famous building, the glittering Harpa Concert Hall.
- Get as close to the whales, puffins and wildlife as possible without disturbing them.
- See the puffins from approximately the 1st of May - 20th of August
- Our custom made RIB boats are fast and can easily cover a bigger search area than the classic whale watching boats.
- Small group! Only 12 people per boat with expert whale guide and RIB boat captain.
- Less time then the "Classic Whale Watching tour", only 2 hours from harbour to harbour.
- "Whale Guarantee", If we are unlucky and can't seem to find and whales on the RIB tour you can try again for free on The Classic Tour on the larger boats in Reykjavík or in Akureyri North Iceland.
- See Reykjavik City and the Harpa Concert Hall from the sea.
Some Extra Details
Including: Expertly guided whale and puffin watching tour on a 12 seat RIB boat and all necessary safety equipment
Location of starting point: Whale Safari ticket office at Aegisgarður in the Old Reykjavík Harbour. You can't miss it!
Hotel pick up: Hotel pick ups are available upon request to email@example.com and they start 45 minutes before your chosen departure time. However you should keep in mind that we are located at the Old Harbour in Reykjavík easily within walking (2-15 min) distance from all hotels located in zip code #101 in Reykjavík. We encourage you to walk! For the environment and for your health :)
Departure times and dates:
- From the 15th of April to the 31st of May two departures a day at 10:00 and 14:00.
- From the 1st of June to the 30th of June four departures a day at 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00 & 20.00
- From the 1st of July to the 31st of August seven departures a day at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00 and an evening departure at 20:00.
- From the 1st of September to the 30th of September three departures a day at 10:00. 13.00 & 15.00.
- From the 1st of October to the 31st of October two departures a day at 10:00 and 14.00.
Bring with you: Dress warmly for our northern ocean, so if you have it, bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater, some warm headgear and gloves. Sturdy shoes are recommended.**
- This tour may not be suitable for pregnant women. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those with history of back problems or back injury. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those over the age of 65 years.
- Puffin season is from approximately May - August
Cancellations due to weather: Our tours are dependant on weather and sea conditions so sometimes we need to cancel this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. Make sure to provide us with your contact details upon booking so we can contact you as soon as possible regarding any changes to your tour!
** We will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear, as well as having some sweaters to lend.
All sea tours and whale watching / wildlife trips are undertaken as the responsibility of its participants. Whale Safari does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherit risk that they assume by booking said activity.