Express Whales & Midnight Sun
2 Hour whale & bird watching tour starting from Reykjavik Old Harbour every evening from June 1st to August 20th
Trip Difficulty: Moderate/Adventure Tour
Age & Height limit: 10 years and 145 cm
Small Group Experience: Only 12 person per boat with expert whale guide and captain.
During Icelandic summer nights the daylight just seems endless. This unique whale watching tour departs in the evening from Reykjavík's Old Harbour. Over the puffin season we start off with visiting the puffins in their natural habitat on the islands of the nearby bay. Then speed up for the thrilling ride and head out under the midnight sun over Faxaflói in search of whales & dolphins in our custom designed RIB boats.
Our boats are specially designed to get you closer to the whales and birdlife and their speed and manoeuvrability gives us the change to cover more area in our search of the wildlife. When possible we switch the engines off completely to give the wildlife (and you) the serenity to fully enjoy the nature under the colorful hues of the evening sky.
During the bright Icelandic summer nights this adventurous evening cruise is the ideal way to make the most of your day in Reykjavík. As the whales never fully sleep we can expect encountering the same wildlife on this express whale watching tour as on our regular day tours.
After the whale safari we return to Reykjavík by ending the tour with unique ride along the city’s shoreline offering magnificent views of the Sun Voyager sculpture and the glittering Harpa Concert Hall.
- Ideal evening activity after your a day tour and dinner in Reykjavík
- Get as close to the whales, puffins and wildlife as possible without disturbing them.
- The puffins are around from approximately the 15th of May - 20th of August
- Our custom made RIB boats are fast and can easily cover a bigger search area than the classic whale watching boats.
- Only 12 people per boat with expert whale guide and RIB boat captain.
- Less time then the "Classic Whale Watching tour", only 2 hours from harbour to harbour.
- "Whale Guarantee", If we are unlucky and can't seem to find whales you can try again for free on the classic tour.
- Panoramic views of Reykjavik City and the Harpa Concert Hall from the sea.
The incredible Whale Safari Whale Guarantee: If you don´t see whales on your RIB tour (very unlikely) you can go again for free, this time around trying the bigger boats. And get this, you can choose where you go again, in Reykjavík or in Akureyri in North Iceland.
Including: Expertly guided whale and puffin watching tour on a 12 seat RIB boat.
Location of starting point: Whale Safari ticket office at Ægisgarður in the Old Reykjavík Harbour. You can't miss it.
Duration of trip: 2 hours.
Departure times and dates:
- Daily departure from the 1st of June to the 20th of August at 20.00
Availability: Check the calendar and online booking window above. We recommend booking this tour in advance, as it sells our frequently.
Minimum: No minimum number of participants for departures.
Age limit: 10 Years & 145 cm height.
Bring with you: Dress warmly for our northern ocean, so if you have it, bring warm outdoor clothing like a wool or fleece sweater, some warm headgear and gloves. Sturdy shoes are recommended.**
- This tour may not be suitable for pregnant women. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those with history of back problems or back injury. Consult your doctor before signing up.
- This tour may not be suitable for those over the age of 65 years.
- Puffin season is from approximately the 15th of May - 20th of August
Cancellations due to weather: We sometimes need to cancel this tour due to winds in the main whale habitat area. In such an event we will offer you three choices. The most fun one: rebook your tour at a later date with out any additional costs. The next one: if our bigger sightseeing ships are sailing (they sail in more wind then the RIB boats) we can book you there and refund you the difference. Or finally...a full refund. :)
* Keep in mind we are located at the Old Harbour in Reykjavík, easily within walking (0-15 min) distance from all hotels located in zip code #101 downtown Reykjavík. We encourage you to walk, for the environment and for your health :)
** We will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear, as well as having some sweaters to lend.
All sea tours and whale watching / wildlife trips are undertaken as the responsibility of its participants. Whale Safari does not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to there own actions. Participants sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherit risk that they assume by booking said activity.